[WikiEN-l] Message formatting

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Tue Oct 16 01:36:41 UTC 2007

On 15 Oct 2007 at 19:25:15 +0100, "Thomas Dalton"
<thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> That RFC is extremely outdated. There is no need for manual linebreaks
> these days - we have much wider monitors and functioning word wrap.
> The web archive just need to have "style="white-space: pre-wrap;""
> added to the pre tag (it's CSS 2.1, so I'm not sure how many browsers
> support it - might need to use a few browser-specific methods).

There *is* a newer standard "format=flowed", documented in RFC 2646,
but the messages here aren't following it; that calls for proper
linebreaks just as in the old standard, but a header that tells mail
clients that it's OK to re-wrap paragraphs to a different length.

--
== Dan ==