[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Will Beback will.beback.1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:12:38 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> On 15/10/2007, Will Beback <will.beback.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The link to michaelmoore.com contribute to the encyclopedia?
>> It isn't being used as a source for the article.
>>

> Um, it's the website of the subject of the article. Every article
> about a subject that has a website of its own has or should have such
> a website listed in "External links" as obviously relevant.
>
> You are twisting every way you can to come up with an excuse not to
> include such a link, for every reason except coming out and honestly
> say "We should remove any mention of links to people we decide we
> don't like." All your various formulations closely resemble attempting
> to say anything other than that, which appears to be the actual
> reason.
>
> - d.

It doesn't appear that the site adds anything to the article, and is
merely a convenience to readers. WP:CONVENIENCE is not a core policy, or
even a guideline. If convenience is the only reason to retain a
self-published website that is actively harassing Wikipedia editors then
I think our priorities aren't right.

Will Beback