[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

fredbaud at waterwiki.info fredbaud at waterwiki.info
Mon Oct 15 22:01:59 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: K P [mailto:kpbotany at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 03:45 PM
To: 'English Wikipedia'
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Arbcom

On 10/15/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15/10/2007, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We already have a great many user complaints that admins are
> > essentially invulnerable. This would greatly increase such
> > dissatisfaction. We have whatever respect  we do have, because any
> > user can after all make a direct complaint. Making it impossible would
> > increase the existing feeling of class antagonism.
>
> You're absolutely right. The thing we have to decide is if it's worth
> it. We have to so something to fix ArbCom, and chances are, we're
> going to make somebody unhappy in the process. We need to balance how
> well ArbCom (or its replacement) works with how happy people are with
> it - we'll never fully achieve both.

I don't know that happiness matters.  My favorite teacher drives me
insane--hardly makes me happy at all until I get through one of his
damn classes and realize I learned far more than I ever thought
possible.  I respect him.  I don't know him at all, so I can't say
whether I like him or not--but he's a superb teacher, and I also trust
him to know how to teach me.

Isn't that more important that ArbCom earns or has the respect of the
community?  Than that they make the community happy?  The latter seems
to be the way to set them up for no community support.  If their job
is defined well, and they do it well, and they're able to do it well
because the requirements for doing so are not so onerous, then they
will, imo, wind up with the community's support for taking upon
themselves a thankless job.  But happiness?  How could they provide
that?

KP

We provide a good. That good, when we are successful, is resolution of a conflict and diminution or cessation of troublesome behavior . However, all such resolutions are dependent on community support.

We aspire to that good. So should the community.

Fred