[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Oct 15 03:28:31 UTC 2007

K P wrote:
> To say say that because you're being stalked by another person who
> found you on Wikipedia gives you, the victim, a conflict of interest
> in Wikipedia empowers the stalker to the point of the ridiculous [...]

I see what you're saying, but I still think there's a reasonable point
in the other side.

A while back, I was pretty energetic in pushing back against what I saw
as spam and self-serving bias on an article. Eventually the external
community involved decided that I was a meanie who had it in for them.
They dug through my on-line history and came to assorted ridiculous
conclusions about me.

Now I could have gotten outraged, fought back, etc, etc. But why? They
thought I had a conflict of interest; I thought they were wrong. Who
could know the truth? Given their behavior, a reasonable observer could
wonder if I I might have harbored retaliatory feelings after what could
be considered stalking. Heck, I would wonder from time to time.

So I just asked for help, and a kind fellow editor stepped in. (Thanks,
A.B.!) We have enough articles and enough people that there seems to be
little cost to swapping people around when there's big drama. And
there's a lot of benefit.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>