[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 21:42:22 UTC 2007

> On 14/10/2007, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why not allow clerks to draft proposals? The arbitrators would still be
> > the only ones allowed to -vote-, of course, but I see no harm in letting
> > a clerk make a suggestion. If it's poor, it'll just get voted against
> > anyway.
>

> Anyone can draft proposals - that's what the workshop page is for (and
> to keep idiots occupied somewhere relatively harmless, of course).
> Proposals from known sensible people are more likely to be taken
> notice of, of course.
>

> - d.

This does suggest to me a completely different approach though. How
about having some arbcom members only voting on cases, not being
otherwise obligated to participate in the deliberate on the cases?

It may be that I am describing the actual situation as it is currently
de facto, but even if so, how about making it de jure. An arbcom
member who (chosen for that situation by whatever means and
by whatever criterion) need only cast votes, would at least
mentally feel less stress about their involvement in the arbcom
functioning, and thus would be likely to not burn out that
swiftly.

And again, regardless of how these voting members were
allocated, I can well imagine that they might slip in and out
of the role of being a mere voter, and being one who
drafts decisions etc.

Since I am not on the arbcom or on it's mailing list or the
various organs of its function, I cannot say whether
this is practical or adds anything useful, but I offer
it purely in the way of tossing ideas to see if they
will stick to the wall.