[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Oct 14 16:54:56 UTC 2007

fredbaud at waterwiki.info wrote:
> From: Will Beback
> The purpose of Wikipedia is to create articles full of content, not full
> of external links. I'd argue that the article on Michael Moore does not
> require a link to his website, nor does any article require having any
> external link. External links are a convenience to readers, but aren't
> part of the goal of the encyclopedia.
> W.
>
> A prominent person, popular with most of our users, can harass an editor who takes a political position most of don't like, on his website. If we do anything about it, other than ask him to quit, we would make ourselves a laughing stock.
>
> Policies are like spiderwebs; they catch flies. Hawks fly through. (Not an original thought, but based on the Spanish proverb "Laws, like the spider's webs, catch the flies and let the hawk go free.")
I agree.  Sometimes trolling is less damaging than setting out a
drift-net.  Not all species will bite on the troll line, but a drift-net
too easily captures endangered species as a by-catch.  The endangered
species often have no market value, so their corpses are just thrown
back.  This compounds the destructiveness with wastefulness.

Ec