[WikiEN-l] Jason Calancis on Wikipedia's technological obscurantism

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 22:14:45 UTC 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 4:54 PM, David Gerard wrote:

> On 13/10/2007, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At the very least, we should move things like WikiProjects, GA
>> nomination statuses, and other such pieces of processcruft to a
>> subpage and transclude it so that newbies trying to discuss on talk
>> pages just get "{{single template link}}". We could probably afford
>> to do the same with infoboxes and the like on main articles - move
>> them to a subpage and transclude a single template. Yes, it makes
>> editing the infobox a step less intuitive, but someone who can't
>> figure that step out probably can't handle the template syntax
>> anyway.
>

> That'sa fantastically good idea! See if it flies on the Village Pump,
> etc. A bot run would be enough once you have something acceptable to
> the VP and the most template-heavy projects.

For the article namespace this apparently runs into the problem that
we've disabled subpages for articles.

I suspect this is easy to undo, and possibly even wise to undo (did
we just move all /Draft pages to the talk namespace?). Dev?

In any case, the idea would work fine for talk in the current situation.

-Phil