[WikiEN-l] Could we use a chore wheel?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Fri Oct 12 16:06:53 UTC 2007

In thinking about Charles's recent "I've got this crazy idea" posting, I
came up with a crazy idea of my own. I'd love some feedback.

We've got a lot of cleanup work around here. The people who end up doing
it often burn out because they do too much. And from the outside, some
of the cleanup areas seem to get taken over by people with much more
ardent views than the mainstream, causing a lot of friction. This
reminds me of several of the shared houses I've lived in. Could we use
the same solution, a chore wheel?

The notion is that we would put together a way for people to say
something like

    * I can work in areas X, Y, and Z
    * I can do it for N hours at a time
    * I'll do it T times a month

And then they get notified when it's their turn to do something.

So for example, I might get a notice twice a month that I'm in for a
four-hour shift on looking at AfDs, or RC patrol. Whatever area is in
most need of labor gets the help. Perhaps we could include a way for
people to report their shifts completed, so that we could list the virtuous.

I'd use something like this. Would others?

Thanks,

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>