[WikiEN-l] Links for Deletion?

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 12 12:41:17 UTC 2007

"Thatcher131 Wikipedia" wrote

> > > 1. Wikipedia has an obligation to protect its editors from harassment.
> >
> > Ummm. No one is even obliged to log in ever again. Will this fly?
> >

> If Wikipedia does not protect its editors from harassment, it will
> lose editors.  You could make a wordier formulation that avoids the
> word "obligation", such as "Because Wikipedia can not function without
> editors and admins, who are volunteers and have many options when
> deciding how to spend their free time, Wikipedia should not tolerate
> or enable harassment and intimidation of editors."

This is like one of those aspirational ArbCom principles that nearly everyone scrolls past. The work requires that we retain our good people.

> > > 2. Interactions between editors are generally covered by the NPA and
> > > harassment policies.
> > > 3. Notwithstanding #1 and #2, article content is generally covered by
> > > a different set of policies (NPOV, reliable source, verify) and only
> > > in extreme cases should policies designed to cover editor interactions
> > > intrude into article space.
> >
> > Yes. Article space is hardly the main problem here. It's "I think this needs to be brought to the community's attention ...", and coat-racking in debates.

> Except that the Attack sites case is ostensibly about links in article
> space, and there was real and disruptive edit warring over linking to
> Don Murphy and Michael Moore's official sites on their article pages.

Those FoF are there because some Arbs think they are relevant, not because all do. The "focus of the case" is said to be elsewhere.

> If this case is ever successfully going to be closed, I'd say there
> needs to be a strong distinction made between article space and other
> space, and I would like to see the focus shift to intent and effect of
> links, rather than the url of the specific site.

Oh, it'll be closed. We are just not closing much at all right now. The namespace point was something I wanted to deal with, basically by clarifying "noticeboard" as a qusi-namespace. That got shot down (it needs looking into, because David Gerard's "instruction creep" mantra seems accurate once a noticeboard is set up). The "site" qua prefix on a URL is always going to be misleading.

Charles