[WikiEN-l] Is Slate an attack site?

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:55:39 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> You wrote:
> > Good luck explaining this situation to Mr. Agger and his readers.
> > I doubt anybody is articulate enough to make Wikipedia not sound
> > unbelievably fucking stupid for being an easy tool in the hands of
> > a notorious cyber-crackpot.
>
> Ugh.  Very well said.
>
> It's one of the things that continually baffles me -- why do we
> elevate Brandt to such a position of power?  Why do we voluntarily
> give him so much control over us?  All he has to do is say some
> new outrageous thing, and it's guaranteed to send us into paroxysms
> of anguished, hand-wringing, navel-gazing grief.  Stimulus/response.
> We're puppets and he holds the strings.
>
> The old adage about Not Feeding Trolls springs to mind...

Well he's made a full time job of digging up dirt about various
Wikipedia users, whether on his own, or by enlisting the help of
anyone they may have previously trusted, but who may be now willing to
betray their former friend(s) by providing non-public information to
Brandt.

And people still wonder why Survivor on CBS has such high ratings?

—C.W.