[WikiEN-l] London calling, etc.

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Oct 11 12:23:31 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/10/2007, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ...and the positive outcome to "silly kid posts hoax suicide note on
> > the internet" is "silly kid gets terrified by large scary policemen
> > and decides not to do it again".
>

> Even better- if people generally know what happens when they do hoaxes, then
> they're less likely to do posts for 'humor' reasons; so it pays to advertise
> the policy somewhat.

I'd say they're more likely to do hoaxes for "humor" reasons and use
someone else's name and address.

> Even in the case of a probable hoax -
> > at least, one not a de-facto obvious joke, though god knows how some
> > of our more myopic users could recognise one - passing it through
> > channels is probably valid.
>
> I think so too.

So what about someone who writes what is probably a fictional murder
story, but might actually be a confession?  Should the police be
contacted in that instance?  IIRC, the consensus here is that calling
the police then constitutes cyberstalking.