[WikiEN-l] A thought on community dynamics

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:54:49 UTC 2007

On 10/8/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> The question is: have we on Wikipedia reached a point where our community is
> too big that the negative friction overwhelms the positive value of our
> expertise?
>
> I'm just throwing this out for discussion, but I think this hypothesis may
> prove to be true in some areas - namely those frequently discussed on this
> list. But in less high-activity areas, such as quiet (i.e. not [[George W.
> Bush]]) articles, then we have a sufficiently small group of editors who
> have space to think and bring their individual ability to bear.

As far as articles go I doubt that even [[George W. Bush]] has this
problem (though for a few lesser known topics that have been directly
or indirectly subject to arbcom rulings, the phenomenon could possibly
be argued).

However, in the project space hot-spots (WP:ANI, WT:RFA, WP:CSN,
WP:AFD, WP:RFAR, etc. etc. etc.) yes it's quite bloody obvious.

—C.W.