[WikiEN-l] oopsie-- mainstream journalists trust Wikipedia again

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 23:26:23 UTC 2007

On 10/7/07, Christiano Moreschi <moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't know, Marc. Wikipedia is not a closed "community": it is such an open one, with people entering and leaving all the time, that it is questionable whether the editing "community" is really worthy of the name.
>
> Obviously, some editors are worth trying to retain, but losing people is scarcely a problem for us. We can simply draft in a new population or two.

The statistical research showing that 0.1% of the people are making
40% - ish of the viewed words on WP pages, with 1% making about
another 40%, indicates that we do have a strong and important comunity
of core contributors.

We hope that many in the 10% and 100%tiles will join up and become 1%
or 0.1%ers.  That hope and the new blood and ideas they bring in keep
us exciting.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com