[WikiEN-l] Removal of adminship...

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Oct 8 03:58:22 UTC 2007

On 10/7/07, John Lee <johnleemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think what complicates this attempt to look at Wikipedia as a political
> system is because we have no neat separation of powers, or proper democracy,
> or anything which you could use to describe a typical constitutional
> democracy which many Westerners think of when they think about government or
> policy. If you want to talk about recalling admins, you see admins as
> members of the executive branch; if you want to talk about tenure, you think
> of them as members of the judiciary. This dichotomy is quite inaccurate
> since admins both enforce policy and interpret policy.

When admins "interpret policy", are they doing so as admins, or simply
as community members?  There's lots of interpretation of policy at
ANI, but as it says on that page, "Any user of Wikipedia may post"
there.

I've always seen Wikipedia admins as acting mainly in an executive
role, basically they're the wiki-police.