[WikiEN-l] Templates for the masses

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 00:20:39 UTC 2007

There s an extensive on -wiki discussion of this at
Wikipedia_talk:Talk_page_templates. Considering that the new templates
have just been adopted after a reasonable period of open discussion,
an attempt to change back will be interesting.

Personally, I would support making all templates yet smaller, and
almost all less conspicuous, and moving most to the article talk page.
 Not everyone agrees.

On 10/7/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/7/07, Rob <gamaliel8 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/7/07, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote
> > > Well, once again I disagree with you as per [1]. {{HurricaneWarning}}
> > > should have been deleted a long time ago, but it somehow survived TFD.
> > > Short of deletion I would welcome any attempt to make its appearance
> > > more subtle but it's protected for no apparent reason.
> >
> > I can't believe that template exists.  What's next, a warning on
> > medical articles for people to call 911/999/whatever in case of a
> > medical emergency?
>
> Oh, good grief, you really didn't suggest that did you?  Tell the kids
> not to stuff beans up their noses....
>
> I template the hell out of articles that are inappropriate content but
> won't be corrected.  The x-ray crystallography article, which requires
> an expert, not a bunch of physicists and mathematicians, shouldn't be
> the general article on the topic, it's written essentially about x-ray
> crystallography of bio molecules, and it looks exactly like what it
> is: a compilation of disorganized insights into the field without a
> retaining substance, like an outline.
>
> There are some articles that shouldn't be on Wikipedia, and if I don't
> have time to correct them, and no one else will either, then I'm going
> to at least warn the readers that the article is a piece of crap in
> various ways.  That's what the templates do.  In fact, one of the
> first times I read an article on Wikipedia it came with a warning.
>
> KP

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.