[WikiEN-l] An interesting study on bad edits and their impact

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 03:46:07 UTC 2007

On 04/10/2007, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Abstract: Wikipedia's brilliance and curse is that any user can edit
> any of the encyclopedia entries. We introduce the notion of the impact
> of an edit, measured by the number of times the edited version is
> viewed.

Interesting points.

Seems to me, off hand, that this suggests:

- wikipedia needs to keep track of article views (possibly over
different time periods) if we aren't already (I don't remember seeing
it)

- It seems to me this concept suggests that watchlists should be
sorted, not by date, but by article view rate so that the most viewed
articles are first.

- we also should develop an index that determines which articles are
both least watched and most viewed and highlight any edits that occur
to these which are not being checked.

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
imperfect world things would be a lot better.