[WikiEN-l] London calling, etc.

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 03:04:00 UTC 2007

About six months ago, I was dealing with a similar incident with a kid
in Chicago.

I spent two hours trying to get Chicago PD to take an out of town
emergency report; They normally only take local "911" emergency calls.
 A city dispatch center operator couldn't figure out anyone who would
accept the report there.  They finally told me to give it to my local
PD who would send Chicago PD a notification electronically.  I think
Danny at the Foundation office also got it in that way ahead of me.

"Call the police directly" is fine, if that works, if that's possible.
 Apparently it is not always possible.

Asking here or elsewhere on foundation or project lists or wiki or IRC
for help in such a real life possible emergency is entirely
appropriate, and we should not discourage anyone from doing so.

The rate of events like this is low, and even if it weren't, it's important.

******
I was the sysop who blocked that Chicago editor.  If I had become aware of
the problem sooner I would have handled the police call also, and FWIW will
gladly do so upon request in the future if I'm online.

The first incident I handled was from an IP address last December.  It was a
rather quick process to determine the location and run a Google search for
the appropriate jurisdiction.  I ended up speaking to an officer from the
Pennsylvania state police.  He was a bit confused at first, but once he
understood who I was and what I was reporting everything proceeded
smoothly.

We've gotten three different threats in the last ten months, which really
isn't all that frequent for a website that gets 40 million unique visitors a
month.  When I first dealt with this I adapted some volunteer training and
experience to the situation.  While I'm by no means an expert on suicide
intervention, a few basic principles apply:

1. All suicide threats deserve to be treated as serious until proven
otherwise.

2. People who threaten suicide but don't actually attempt it on that
particular occasion may be at risk for future suicide attempts.  Appropriate
intervention may lead them to counseling and other social services.

-Durova