[WikiEN-l] London calling, etc.

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 23:34:48 UTC 2007

On 10/2/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/10/2007, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Okay, maybe I just need more coffee, but can someone explain to me why in
> > god's name an indef block is the desired response to a suicide note on-wiki?
>
> Well, once it's been confirmed as a hoax, an indef block is obviously
> appropriate. Before that, I'm not so sure. I guess it helps keep
> things under control by keeping everything they do on their talk page.
> I think it is also our standard response when someone dies - we block
> their account, since no-one should be using it any more, so anyone
> using it must be up to something.

I think the logic is that it's disruptive and indicates someone we
probably don't want to continue to have associated with the project,
for both their and our good.

There may be exceptions and times when allowing them back makes sense
eventually, but I can agree that block and freeze or delete pages is
appropriate for first responders.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com