[WikiEN-l] Indefinite ban problem

Luna lunasantin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 23:13:24 UTC 2007

On 9/30/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> People want examples of how "none of the thousand or so admins wants
> to unblock them" doesn't adequately describe the "community" ban
> process?  How about this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/I
> ncidents/Blu_Aardvark_and_Mistress_Selina_Kyle

Looks to me like you dug through the entire history of Wikipedia, found one
incident a fair number of people might be familiar with, and threw it out
onto the floor without any elaboration or supporting arguments...

Whatever point you're trying to make, I'm not sure. Is this a problem that
would be unique to a particular system of banning/unbanning? Does this
single incident illustrate a persistent problem? Is this anecdote the common
scenario or an exception? Is there an alternative system which could
reasonably be expected to reduce the amount of histrionics and mitigate the
negative impacts of bandwagon politics? What, in particular, are the
problems, here, and how might they be fixed?

If we're relying on an anecdote, we may as well explore it a bit to see what
information and lessons we can glean from it.

Judging from the tone of your post, it sounds like you have an idea, or at
least might be able to answer some of those questions. I'm not quite clear
on what idea is, just yet?

-Luna