[WikiEN-l] salt list

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:52:00 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Brock Weller <brock.weller at gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm on my phone at the moment, and since wiki's wap options suck i'll
> ask this here. Please please PLEASE tell me this isn't more dumb
> 'fallout' from ryulongs lists is it? And if it is, don't we all have
> better things to do then moan about someone making their otrs work
> easier?

I haven't been around the wiki for the last few days, so I can assure
you that when I say that I would like to see a good discussion on this
practice of admins maintaining their own salt lists, I say that
entirely in the abstract. I have noticed such lists appearing every
now and then ever since cascading protection was first introduced and
I think it would be a good idea to work out some guidelines for the
practice.

I for one don't see any advantages in maintaining personal lists
outside of the main protected titles lists, and can see several
disadvantages, including increased difficulty of maintenance and the
increased risk (not saying that it's been realised, but it's still a
risk) of titles being salted inappropriately.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com