[WikiEN-l] Balance of sanction [Was: Arbiter involvement on the Durova affair]

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:49:06 UTC 2007

On 11/30/07, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2007 11:51 AM, Kwan Ting Chan <ktc at ktchan.info> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 16:45 +0000, Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

> > > What, apart from losing all her credibility,
> >
> > Then trash Giano's credibility all you like.
> >
> > > her sysop bit and her shot at ArbCom you mean?
> >
> > And I quote the original passage: "An admin bit is not some shield that
> > can be used to deflect a blow, something we can drop in lieu of a
> > sanction. Should we issue Giano with an admin bit so he can be forced to
> > give it up as punishment?"
> >
> > She won't now have a shot at ArbCom. Big wow. Now compare to the various
> > proposed remedies of banning for 90 days, restricted editing in
> > Wikipedia namespace etc. *point to the subject line of "balance of
> > sanction*.
> >
> > KTC
>
> What additional sanctions do you think would be appropriate for an
> erroneous block that was undone in 72 minutes?

There were additional errors in judgment, not just an erroneous block. First
off is the quality of evidence used to make the block. Then Durova referred
questions to Arbcom, but failed to send them the information on which her
decision was based.  She suggested that the evidence was private and
revealed secret techniques for sockpuppet identification, neither of which
were correct.  And she implied that foundation representatives, arbcom
members, and checkusers were all well aware of the situation, which was only
partially true; some may have been aware and some not, but only in their
capacity as established editors who were on a mailing list, rather than in
their official capacities.  This was a serious error in judgment on Durova's
part, and it seems to me she has recognized this herself.

It's very unclear to me why you, as Durova's friend, keep insisting on
having her entire litany of errors repeated.  Don't you think it's a bit
cruel to her to keep insisting on hearing it over and over again? For
heaven's sake, she has recognized her errors and done the right thing for
the community.  Please leave her with a bit of dignity.