[WikiEN-l] Arbiter involvement on the Durova affair

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:32:17 UTC 2007

On 11/30/07, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 00:58:55 +0900, "Mark Ryan" <ultrablue at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >So is Giano getting potentially banned by the ArbCom for wilfully
> >posting a copyright violation? Or defying a Foundation employee? Or
> >not following the correct processes of ArbCom?
>
> For posting a private email in a public forum.
>
> Other options were available, and Giano repeatedly did this even
> after being asked not to.
>
> Guy (JzG)
> --
> http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

Guy, with due respect, the very first information the community got about
this block directly implied that Arbcom was complicit in the decision to
block.  That turned out not to be the case, but the community only found
that out very shortly before an Arbcom posted on ANI that Arbcom hadn't even
received the blocking post. In the meantime, copies of this post were flying
around to "trusted" users all over the place, and half were saying it was a
terrible block and the other half were saying it made sense except for the
absence of one crucial piece of information. In the meantime, many people
were saying that arbitrators and foundation representatives and checkusers
had all been provided with the information/involved in the
discussion/whatever.  The community's faith in the propriety of its
institutions was being shaken. Everybody could have done things differently.
Perhaps Arbcom could have had a spokesmember post to the ANI thread that the
committee had not been involved in the discussion and had not been forwarded
any information in advance of the block.  I don't know if that would have
made a difference, or if that thought crossed anyone's mind; it would
certainly have been a very unusual situation.  As I say, the community was
clearly unaware of the position in which Arbcom found itself, and there was
no information contradicting the belief that Arbcom had indeed been at least
informed in advance of this block.

Risker