[WikiEN-l] Hatnotes?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 23:40:37 UTC 2007

On 29/11/2007, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> The italic lightweight notes at the top of articles are "hatnotes"
> (per Wikipedia:Hatnote, in the Manual of Style). Anyone ready
> with the background of this term?

We made it up (or resurrected it from a very obscure usage, as with
"disambiguation" - I must post my little study of this one day), I
believe.

As jargon goes, it's not bad - it's succinct, and fairly clear. I've
not yet seen anyone encounter the term and not realise immediately
what it means, and I've certainly seen it used a lot as though it were
a proper term of art.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk