[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Nov 29 21:44:13 UTC 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 4:33 PM, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007 4:04 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Wikipedia business is the business of Wikipedia.  In the context of
> > "an administrator discussing Wikipedia business", it'd be a discussion
> > of who to block, or what pages to protect, or something like that.
> > "Anything about Wikipedia" would include that and anything else
> > related to Wikipedia.  If I email my friend and say "Wikipedia is the
> > greatest site ever", that'd be "about Wikipedia", but it wouldn't be
> > "Wikipedia business".
>
> What about if an admin e-mailed another Wikipedian and said "Account X
> is new but looks suspiciously familiar with Wikipedia process"; would
> the Wikipedia community have a *right* to see that e-mail?

Are you asking me?  My opinion is no, the community as a whole does
not have a *right* to see that e-mail, but it should be logged and
available to the foundation and/or an agent of the foundation.  I feel
that the accused Wikipedian, on the other hand, does have a *right* to
see that e-mail, at least at the point that it is decided that there
is enough evidence to make an action or that it was a mistake in the
first place.

Of course, getting back to the discussion at hand, I would consider
that to be "discussing Wikipedia business", and not just "about
Wikipedia".

> How about
> if a Wikipedia admin e-mailed another Wikipedian and said "Look at
> page X, it looks like some POV-warriors have really gone to work on
> it". That's also public property?

In my opinion, it should be.

> Mind you, your own post facto re-interpretation of Alec's demands are
> kind of moot, considering he was insisting he needed to see the "full
> content of the emails" sent to both lists. That, in fact, was the
> context in which he insisted that every single e-mail was "Wikipedia
> business".

Well, I'd disagree with him on that if that's what he said, but I
still don't think he ever claimed that he had a right to see
everything that any admin had ever written "about Wikipedia".