[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 18:39:46 UTC 2007

On 11/29/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> No, I'm skeptical that everyone on the cyberstalking list has ever
> actually been cyberstalked.  Some clearly have, at least by a broad
> definition of cyberstalking.

If it's a mailing list of people who have in fact been cyberstalked,
it would make sense for subscribers of the list to generally not know
who the other subscribers are. It would make a hell of a lot more
sense for them to refrain from posting under identifiable names (ones
easily cross-referenced to websites on which they have been
cyberstalked, e.g. Wikipedia), much less real ones.

Now, a summary of "interesting edits" by User:!! would only be
relevant if User:!! was:
A. Suspected of being a returning user who, under a previous identity,
may have been cyberstalked.
B. Suspected of cyberstalking somebody, either currently or in the
past, and possibly needing to be blocked.

Perhaps different people drew different conclusions from the evidence
and the context in which it was presented, but clearly there was some
horribly ineffective communication, innuendo, and assumption afoot.

—C.W.