[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 28 22:18:14 UTC 2007

Alec Conroy wrote:
> On 11/28/07, jayjg wrote:
>
>>> She has, supposedly,
>>> threatened to sue the foundation for copyright violation is the email
>>> is published on-wiki, and that is a risk the foundation does not want
>>> to take.
>>>
>> Has she? I wasn't aware of that.
>>
> Yeah--  supposedly foundation employee Bastique removed the material
> based on Durova's copyright claims.   If you were really crazy, you
> could say she never  claimed copyright-- (Bastique was part of
> Durova's investigation list, so a cynic could say he did it as some
> sort of cover up--  but I'm not that cynical myself.  I'm sure she
> really did assert copyright).
>
> Besides, Durova has been repeatedly asked for permission to publish
> the email on wiki, and has yet to grant it-- forcing anyone who wants
> to speak intelligently about this subject to visit Wikitruth.
Framing this in terms of copyright violation is a red herring.  You
can't copyright facts, so rewording the facts would get around this.  At
the same time I don't see that naming names is that important.  Durova
should not be put into a position of being pressured to deal with
conflicting ethics.

The principle that secret evidence should not be the basis for
punishments is more important.

Ec