[WikiEN-l] Breaking this up for size: 3

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:18:43 UTC 2007

There were in-depth deliberations about [[User:!!]] that led to his
blocking.  Since that block was in error, we want to be able to look
at the conversations that led up to his blocking, so we can see who
all was at fault, where the system broke down, and how we can fix it.
This shouldn't be a controversial request, it should be a commonplace
one.  In every erroneous block, people go back over the discussions to
see what went wrong.   The only thing that's different in this case is
that you guy took your deliberations off-wiki, and are not trying to
prevent the community from reviewing what precisely went wrong.  I
realize that may feel like an invasion of privacy, since you guys
thought the deliberations would be secret when you held them-- but
sadly, that's your own fault for doing admin investigations in a
secret venue.
******
That's easy to blame after the fact when no clear standards existed.  Even
though Alkivar overturned my block on Burntsauce in April, no one raised a
protest that I asked for off-wiki evidence review then.  Most of the
community just didn't pay attention to this for a long time.  In the
THF-David Shankbone case I asked the Committee to make a ruling on fair play
practices regarding use of onsite name disclosures, and nobody really picked
up on why I thought that was important.  Since I couldn't even spark their
interest on one of the clearest examples of the subject and it had played
into more than one case they handled, it seemed well-nigh impossible for me
to start a community dialog.

Nobody gets angry with the pitcher as long as he keeps throwing strikes.
And, per the developing Privatemusings decision, you really ought to be
going easier on people who were acting in good conscience in an area where
policy was silent.
It's noble of you to try to assure us that, if we could see the
evidence, we would see that you are the only one at fault here.   But
surely you must understand, given the recent history, why we aren't
going to be willing to take your word for what the evidence will and
will not show.
Alec
******
I've been thinking of posting my evidence from the Alkivar case.  Can't
release everything because it includes private e-mails, but there's a
trusted user version I've shared.  Do you think it would be a good idea for
me to put that in user space alongside my Joan of Arc vandal report?

-Durova