[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Sam Blacketer sam.blacketer at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 27 12:20:27 UTC 2007

On 11/27/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:

> If an administrator were to block someone with the explanation "I ran
> this by some people on an IRC channel and they okayed it, but I can't
> tell you who or where or why", that would quite rightly result in a
> furore. "Some people on an IRC channel" don't have any authority to okay
> anything.

No, they don't. Administrators are individually responsible for each and
every administrative action they take. But I don't see how that is
contradicted by what happened here: Durova was responsible for the block of
!!, and she has been held to account for it. Precisely no-one appears to be
arguing that Durova's responsibility is diminished because she ran it by a
select group before taking action; even if that group had all supported the
proposed action, it would still have been the responsibility of whoever
performed the block.

--
Sam Blacketer
London E15