[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Tue Nov 27 07:12:22 UTC 2007

Morven wrote:
> Perhaps you are not trying to cause drama.  However, I believe you
> are trying to USE it - because it helps your cause.  Ideologues are
> disturbing to me precisely because the ends almost always justify
> the means to them, and to that degree I have a problem with you.
>
> Also, I feel, you are prone to assuming Big Bad Conspiracy and strong
> ideological motivation in others.

One of the disturbing subthreads of the whole BADSITES debate --
I am not the first to point this out, and I may have more to say
about it tomorrow -- was that anyone who argued too strongly
against it was eventually branded as a "Wikipedia Review
participant" or a "troll" or a "sockpuppet", and then dismissed.

Please don't do this sort of thing.

Dan Tobias was right to criticize BADSITES, and JzG's continuing
attempts to paint Dan as a Wikipedia Review participant or a
tireless crank didn't change the truth of Dan's arguments.
Similarly, your criticism of Alec as an ideologue (a label he
first used on himself, of course) doesn't change the truth of his.

Also, in the current debate, the issue is about one or more
administrators -- Durova, and perhaps others -- for whom their
end justified their means.  So there's plenty of this to go around.