[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:05:52 UTC 2007

> There's an easy way to short-circuit most of the drama: everybody
> on that (or those) secret mailing lists ought to voluntarily take
> a pretty long wikibreak.  (A year wouldn't be too long.)  Their
> intentions were good, I know, but they got way too wrapped up in
> things, and they (and the rest of us) now need some time to unwrap.

It's more complicated than that.  Sitting arbiters were on the list.
Allegedly, three of them-- though I won't say which three are alleged
to have been on the list.  I think they'll come clean--   I think the
community has been very clear that there's been enough secrecy here,
and if they try to impede oversight from the community by refusing to
admit participation, it will just contribute to the belief that they
have something to hide.

>  I, for one, didn't know that (though I can't say I'm surprised).
I don't have words for how shocked I was.   I know I've been a critic
of a few specific members of the "militia", but  I never seriously
believed they were this organized and were actively evaluating "secret
evidence" in what could only be called "secret trials".  I never
imagined they  included arbiters among their ranks.

Alec