[WikiEN-l] Trivia/Notability tag?

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:53:04 UTC 2007

On 11/24/07, Ian Woollard <ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps the real issue with trivia sections is that most of them are
> unreferenced as to their notability; while they clearly may be factually
> true, unless somebody has noted that they are important then they should be
> removed. Right?

The short answer is "no".

> So, taking this to the logical conclusions, perhaps we need a notability
> tag, where somebody has to reference that something is notable, otherwise it
> would be removed. By notable, a minimum criteria would have to be a
> significant 3rd party reference to it.

But for the sake of argument, of course:
How does one determine whether or not one's source is presenting
information (about some topic) as "notable" or "non-notable"? For
whole subjects it might be easier to discern, but for individual
facts, it would be ambiguous at best, and in any situation the light
being cast is a product of the author's own POV.

—C.W.