[WikiEN-l] WP:RS >> WP:V

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 22:36:54 UTC 2007

I spent time arguing about this back in July.  Unfortunately, I don't have
time to be on Wikipedia all the time anymore, to keep close watch on policy
and guideline pages.  But, my view on this matter has not changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Reliable_sources/archive_15

The concept of "reliable sources" is an important one, and one more simply
understood (readability) by the newbie than verifiability.  If I revert
someone's edits, because they use some unreliable website (e.g. 9/11
conspiracy theory site), it's simple and clear enough to tell them that it's
not a [[WP:RS|reliable source]], pointing them to that page.  I have spent
way much more time than I wish, helping maintain pages about the 9/11
attacks, dealing with people that keep inserting unsourced or non-reliably
sourced material.  It's also an issue on other topics (e.g. medical/health
topics) where rigorously reviewed sources (e.g. peer reviewed journal
articles) should usually take priority over other sources.

You just look at the name of the page or guideline "reliable sources" and a
newbie has a pretty good idea what it is about.  You tell them
"verifiability" and it is not obviously clear from that word, what we mean.
The word "reliable" is of utmost importance.   Having a page with that word
("reliable) in the title gives this expectation extra emphasis.  The
guideline page can reiterate what is said on WP:V, could elaborate about
reliable sources, and simply tell people that "reliable" sources is
important on Wikipedia.

Please do not take this page away and redirect it.  Please do not make it
all the more difficult for me (and others) to edit, write, and maintain
articles on Wikipedia.

Regards
-Aude

On Nov 18, 2007 12:47 PM, jossi fresco <jossif at gmail.com> wrote:

> About time WP:RS is merged into WP:V....
>
> See
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:VPP#Merging_RS_and_V
>
> and
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WT:RS#The_Death_of_WP:RS.3F