[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Harassing e-mails, part 1

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Nov 21 13:57:23 UTC 2007

On 20 Nov 2007 at 11:58:16 +0000, "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have a problem with kicking off people just here to be
> crappy to others? This is a working list, after all.

I've got some problem with Kamryn getting kicked off in particular; here,
she was reacting to
a mistaken demand from Durova that she apologize, following this sequence
of events:

1) Durova mistakenly posts private e-mail to list, with a subject header
calling it "harassing"
2) Kamryn replies, saying that it doesn't seem like harassment
(fullquoting the original)
3) Durova admits that this particular message wasn't harassment, per se,
but later messages
in the sequence (not posted to this list) were; and she insists that
Kamryn needs to make a
big apology for posting the private message without context and
criticizing it (although,
unknown to her at the time, it was actually Durova who posted the message
to the list out of
context, and Kamryn was just responding to it; apparently she had intended
to send it
privately to somebody else but sent it to the list instead)
4) Soon after, Durova realizes her mistake and retracts the call for apology
5) Kamryn replies to the reply in #3, getting a little snarky in the process
6) You ban her for it.

Now, probably Kamryn should have read the later retraction before
reacting, and should have
toned things down a little.  However, there seems to be an atmosphere of
touchiness lately,
both on Wikipedia and on this list, where people get easily banned for
minor incivility
infractions, if they're on the "wrong side" of the heated "culture wars",
while people on the
other side can get away with almost anything.  That doesn't seem fair to me.

--
Dan
Dan's Domain Name Site: http://domains.dan.info/