[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:13:10 UTC 2007

On 20/11/2007, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:

> Admittedly, the banned user may have a congenital disability for playing
> nice, and he would thus make himself obvious.

FWIW, pretty much all checkuser investigations of such are because
someone is doing something obnoxious. When checkuser shows a strong
match between two accounts where one is ill-behaved and the other is
well-behaved, this is indistinguishable from a bad editor and a good
editor sharing a connection; and so the second situation is assumed,
i.e. that it is in fact two people.

So: find yourself repeatedly uncovered and reblocked? *Stop doing that then.*

(I'm amazed at first thought on how difficult it is to get this point
across. OTOH, as I've noted, the key characteristic of chronically
banned users is an inability to behave well.)

I mean, Skyring made himself quite unpopular for a long time, but is
now back and contributing okay without grossly offending people or
getting himself blocked. So it's hardly impossible.

- d.

- d.