[WikiEN-l] Reflections on the end of the spoiler wars

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Nov 16 23:14:50 UTC 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 12:54 PM,  <joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Philip Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com>:
> > I'm glad you asked. Among the arguments *in all sincerity* advanced by
> > advocates of spoiler warnings:
> >
> > 1) Returning spoiler warnings to all plot sections, because it is non-
> > obvious that plot sections contain spoilers
>
> Ok, this argument is clearly bad.

I don't really agree with the argument, but I don't think it's
*clearly* bad.  It definitely is non-obvious that plot sections
contain *spoilers*.  Not all plot details are spoilers, even if the
old spoiler tag suggested they were.

Personally I'd be willing to have spoiler tags if they said something
like "Wikipedia contains spoilers".  What I had a big problem with was
a plot section which said something like "Warning: plot details
follow".  I understand where such a phrasing came from, though.  The
old "Warning: spoilers follow" was difficult to apply objectively, and
as such isn't a good solution.

I wish there were more people willing to work toward a consensus
rather than asserting that there is a consensus while admitting that
there clearly is much disagreement.