[WikiEN-l] Assume bad faith, for banned users.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Nov 16 21:41:21 UTC 2007

Stephen Bain wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2007 11:31 PM, Flameviper Velifang <theflameysnake at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I enjoy how, despite the fact that I presented my message as referring to my situation, people continue to refer to "banned users" instead of "Flameviper/PM/Banned User/etc".
>>
> The assumption of good faith is a rebuttable presumption. We take it
> to be the case, but only so long as there is no evidence to show
> otherwise.
>
> After that, you need to prove good faith again.
You are really describing a Catch-22 situation.  If someone needs to
prove good faith again it will best be done through his edits.  Simply
kissing ass with a lot of hollow promises just won't do it.

Sockpuppets and proxy editing should not be viewed as wrongs by
themselves.  They should only be viewed as sins when they are used in
the furtherance of other wrongs.  A newly unbanned user who in the past
has built up an inventory of sockpuppets can only too easily use the
wrong account.  A person who assumes good faith should look a little
more deeply when he discovers the person using the alternate account.
If he uses that other account for a handful of innocent edits one should
avoid jumping to the conclusion that he is somehow working underhandedly.

We should be looking for ways to build bridges with these people, not
looking for minimal excuses to freeze them out.

Ec