[WikiEN-l] Reflections on the end of the spoiler wars

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Thu Nov 15 05:36:58 UTC 2007

Philip Sandifer wrote:
> So what can we do? How
> can we streamline our policy formation problems to drive away the
> policy equivalents of lunatic POV pushers? Again, noting that the
> usual problems - consensus can change, so forcibly closing debates
> doesn't work, often contributors who are totally insane on one point
> are wonderful on every other article they edit, etc. So what can we do?

Do you really want to drive them away? That doesn't appeal to me.

It would seem to me that the only long-term options are to come to
consensus or to exile people. That consensus can be of the
agree-to-disagree variety, naturally. For minority views, it usually has
to be.  But I don't see any middle ground between that and giving the
boot to people who care a bit too much.

Personally, I'd prefer finding new ways to build consensus. I know that
you have some strong views that are only held by a minority. What makes
you willing to shelve them and accept that the consensus is against you
for now? Maybe we can find something in that to apply to others.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri