[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia Ethics Commitee?

Josh Gordon user.jpgordon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 15:55:45 UTC 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 5:05 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/11/2007, private musings <thepmaccount at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >Running one quiet responsible account and another aggressive
> > >confrontive, and uncivil, account is just not viable. That's something
> > >you might do on a MUD.
>
> > I agree that that is unacceptable, and wholly disagree that that is
> > the case.
>

> Your editing history, on all your several accounts, strongly suggests
> otherwise. Indeed, you seem to treat accounts as characters on a MUD.

Indeed. A big part of the problem we have on Wikipedia is people
treating it like a game. Our rules on anonymity encourage it, and and
our rules on using multiple accounts seem to make it enjoyable.

Our policies are about editors, not about usernames. Revealing that
someone is using multiple accounts, so long as that doesn't expose a
real world identity, is just tough luck for the game player; it
doesn't hurt Wikipedia one bit.

Wikipedia is not a role playing game. Why isn't that in WP:NOT?
--
--jpgordon ∇∆∇∆