[WikiEN-l] Featured editors?

Relata Refero refero.relata at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 18:35:21 UTC 2007

The AN/I thread to which Guy refers did not originate with any theory about
Durova or Jehochman's actions, but with a specific complaint, which did not
mention any of the subsequently aired theories. What I did see was so much
drama and piling-on of one sort or another, by editors of good standing and
TOR IPs alike, that the original IP who made the report was community-banned
just to get rid of it, but without addressing either his complaint, which
appeared justified enough for one admin to unblock, and without addressing
the fact that his initial actions were to contribute to a discussion on
sockpuppets which doesn't appear to be linked in the least to any COI
nonsense. That drama and piling-on came precisely because various people
assumed it was a banned editor, others pointed out there wasn't any reason
to, anonymous IPs muddied the water, and so. The drama was created more by
indignation at what everyone feared was 'trolling', and less by actual, IP
trolling, which could easily be ignored and laughed at, as indeed it was.
This is remarkably evident when one reads the entire thread with some
attention.

I'm sure half the people reading the mess the thread eventually became
thought that the upshot was that original poster was the sock of a banned
user, when I don't think that there was any proof, public or private, that
he was anything except a particularly frustrated editor.  (Frustrated
enough, after being blocked for reporting to AN/I, to have the bad manners
to apparently email the blocking admin several times after he was asked not
to.) The problem with giving people with large amounts of moral indignation
extra discretion is that it is very easy for matters to not be sufficiently
investigated, and for the casual observer to come away with the wrong idea.
(Then again, maybe Saddam Hussein did have something to do with 9/11.)

RR