[WikiEN-l] Featured editors?

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 17:43:55 UTC 2007

> What are those "other methods"? According to WP:SOCK
> "similarities in interests and editing style" might help
> to detect sockpuppets. If this is the case, how can we
> make sure, that we do not block different editors,
> who happen to share the same POV? Does it matter at all
> since we might call them as well meatpuppets?
> How do we prevent admins from blocking not a vandal
> but a certain POV?

For an example of what this sort of evidence can look like see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Agapetos_angel/Evidence#Evidence_that_220.245.180..2A_is_Jonathan_Sarfati
This isn't an ideal example since it is linking an IP address to
someone outside
Wikipedia and I didn't know as much about this sort of thing way back in
March
of 2006 as I know now. And I'm certainly not as good as picking up subtle
cues
as Durova is. As is I hope apparent in this particular case, the editing
patterns extended not just from POV but from a unique intersection of
interests
as well as some linguistic quirks.
******
Actually that case isn't a good example of my Wikisleuthing.  I was a fairly
new editor in early 2006 and hadn't yet learned a lot of the things I know
now.  On the other hand, it's the perfect example of how I set the goal of a
neutral encyclopedia ahead of my personal opinions about particular issues.

Agapetos angel was a young earth creationist and I was her sole supporter at
the arbitration case.  Rarely do I disclose my personal politics, but it
happened to be relevant to mention there that my own views on the issue were
diametrically opposed to hers.  I had answered a content-based request for
comment on an article where she was active and was so impressed by its
editors' willingness to set aside ideology and approach the matter in terms
of site policies that I awarded them a collective barnstar.  Agapetos angel
had a share of that barnstar and I thought she was doing a good job
of supplying balance to the page.

-Durova