[WikiEN-l] I believe I called this some time ago...

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 02:57:32 UTC 2007

I mentioned at one point to Badlydrawnjeff on a
related note that one serious solution to a lot of problems were for
someone to
start a reasonably well-edited Journal of Popular Culture.
******
Such journals exist.  Unfortunately they usually don't get around to the
task until much of the information has deteriorated through neglect and
disparagement as "trivia" and "ephemera."  The remainder eventually rises to
the status of "social history."

A physical example of this is the massive lost of early cinema stock.  Only
10% to 20% of films from the silent era survive in even one print.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_preservation#Film_decay

-Durova