[WikiEN-l] Attributing "attribution required" free images

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sun Nov 11 05:16:39 UTC 2007

A week or two ago, Steve Bennett wrote:
> ...what are we required to do to meet the "attribution required" aspect of
> certain free images we acquire from Flickr or other sources...?
>
> Viewpoint #1: Provided the information is available on the image information
> page...
> Viewpoint #2: The attribution should be more visible, such as beneath the
> image in articles.
>
> Personally I am of viewpoint #2, and feel that we are short-changing
> photographers who generously release their work for virtually no recompense.

Personally (and I hope I'm not sounding snide here, I'm honestly
not trying to be) I feel that a license that requires attribution
is not really a free license, in the same way that fair-use and
use-by-permission are not free licenses.

Certainly, we should attribute images where it's convenient to do
so (e.g., at the very least, on the image page).  But if we feel
compelled to bend over backwards to do something more, or worse,
if we permit attribution-required licensors to compel us to bend
over backwards, it seems to me we're denying ourselves precisely
the same freedom we attempt to ensure ourselves by disallowing
fair use and used-with-permission.