[WikiEN-l] I believe I called this some time ago...

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Fri Nov 9 19:43:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 19:04:16 +0000, "David Gerard"
<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

>But that Making Light ran a blatant personal attack article *after*
>the original conflict had apparently been sorted out, however, does
>not speak well of them at all in terms of being people it's reasonable
>to consider bothering to interact with.

I have a couple of thoughts from this exchange.

Webcomic "marketing" is essentially viral or memetic.  Clicks is how
sell themselves to publishers and advertisers, it's the life-blood
of the webcomic genre.  Wikipedia does not play that game well; we
try to wait until significance is established, whereas they really
want us to play a part in making significance happen.

This should never have got this far, though.  When did Comixpedia go
online?  Wikipedia could never be the global directory of all
webcomics, that is something we are not and Comixpedia apparently
is; we should have been better at communicating that.

And actually we should have <puts a pound in the buzzword box>
leveraged the Wikiproject here.  The webcomics editors include many
long-time, sensible, practical people.  A system of filtering,
triage, review and selective quiet removal, led by people who know
what they are talking about, is much harder to complain about.

Question: do Wikiprojects have the self-discipline to be trusted?

In other words, if we made the first stage of AfD a direction to the
Wikiprojects, with no comments allowed in the "catch-all" criterion
until they had been assessed as properly identified deletion
candidates, would the projects prevent deletion of everything they
like, regardless of objective measures of quality and verifiability?

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG