[WikiEN-l] WP:DENY is a steaming pile of crap.

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 07:25:38 UTC 2007

On 08/11/2007, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2007 09:38:35 +1100, "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > 3. Once a person with sufficient wisdom and
> > authority has deemed that a person is a troll, THEY ARE A TROLL. No
> > more time should be wasted on them.
>
> That sounds a lot like the Orwellian "Unperson", or Scientology
> "Suppressive Person", concepts, and can be really unfair to people
> who are unjustly labeled this way.  Didn't an early version of WP:NPA
> specifically say that labeling somebody a "troll" was an
> impermissible personal attack?  The Wikipedia culture has changed
> since then, and not necessarily for the better.

If you don't acknowledge that they exist then for all intents and
purposes they don't exist. However, its not nice in my opinion to shun
people who aren't abusive or vandals. This is possibly why I have been
told off too many times on this list for keeping discussions about
trolls going for longer than they possibly should.

That version of NPA is the one I remember... Has it really disappeared
recently, I hadn't noticed.

Peter