[WikiEN-l] Bitey behavior

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 22:26:15 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 4:06 PM, Cary Bass <cbass at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Someone asked me to send an issue to the list regarding bitey behavior...
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pkrev>.
>
> Now, mind you, it's evident the user was inserting advertisements into
> an article, and persisted in reverting the people who reverted him.
> However, it doesn't look like the issue was sufficiently addressed, nor
> the situation sufficiently explained.  Furthermore, " It has become

Thank you for the example.

It appears to me that this one would have been greatly improved if,
even if it wasn't human handled, we gave them a notice that said
something like "Hello, and welcome to Wikipedia. Thank you for
[{{{1}}} taking the time to edit]. Unfortunately, your edits appears
to be of a promotional nature and have been done. As an educational
resource Wikipedia must be as [[WP:NPOV|neutral]] as possible and we
generally frown on edits from [[WP:COI|interested parties]]. In the
future please consider these factors before you edit. Thank you for
your patience."

Sure.. a nice 1:1 chat is ideal. But lets take baby steps. The notice
templates are well defined, if we can make an improvement by tweaking
them then we can improve situations like this without a Herculean
effort.