[WikiEN-l] Bitey behavior

Cary Bass cbass at wikimedia.org
Tue Nov 6 21:06:49 UTC 2007

Someone asked me to send an issue to the list regarding bitey behavior...

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Pkrev>.

Now, mind you, it's evident the user was inserting advertisements into
an article, and persisted in reverting the people who reverted him.
However, it doesn't look like the issue was sufficiently addressed, nor
the situation sufficiently explained.  Furthermore, " It has become
apparent that your account is being used only for vandalism
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Vandalism>, so it has been
*blocked indefinitely
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Blocking_policy>*. " was
completely inappropriate response at the end.

In hindsight (and having spoken to the user on the phone) he has a
limited command of English.  A short duration block while some
explaining on the talk page would have been the proper response.  It
doesn't mean that the user is worth having on Wikipedia--but I do know
of several individuals who started out as spammers and turned into good
contributors.

Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org