[WikiEN-l] Edit Wikipedia Week is coming. How not to bite the n00bs?

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Tue Nov 6 20:23:09 UTC 2007

Quoting Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:

> That would be much easier if people would stop armwaving and SHOW
> SOME EXAMPLES.
>
> Come on. If this newbie biting is so rampant, just provide some
> examples... and then we can talk about those.
>
> I'm not claiming that it's not happening, but boilerplate messages
> have been implicated I've been looking at their use... and the only
> thing I've been able to find in a couple of minutes of looking is that
> we're spending too much time asking obviously malicious people to be
> nice.

Example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Bosox38schilling&oldid=165081241

The text in question was clearly not notable and not npov. However, it clearly
wasn't vandalism. Complete text follows:
he is a kid who was born June 22nd 1993 who is really awesome!

He plays soccer and basketball.

He is around 5 ft 3 and really cool!

You would definately want to meet him.

He has a sister and a brother.

Now, I have trouble seeing how a vandalism template in that case was anything
but biting.