[WikiEN-l] Edit Wikipedia Week is coming. How not to bite the n00bs?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Tue Nov 6 16:48:44 UTC 2007

> Earlier: How not to bite the n00bs?

	... removing teeth would be nice.

	Since admins CAN delete and ban, they think their job is to look
for people to delete and ban.  Why not remove delete and ban features
and be done with all this carping about abusive deleting and banning,
and the damage done to Wikipedians one and all.

	More to the point, why are we so afraid of crappy pages?  If a
page is truly crap, it will be ignored - nobody will go there.  Or
someone will edit it and make it better, especially the original creator
of that so-called "crappy" page, but ONLY if they are encouraged, are
and allowed to get some wiki reading, editing, and writing experience.
Conversely, [Search] will bring us to the pages we really want anyway,
so we will bypass the crappy pages - they do not need to be so
diligently and abusively deleted.

	The goal is not a 100% perfect encyclopedia.  The goal is a
COMMUNITY building an encyclopedia.  BUILDING, not BUILT.  It will never
be "built".  It will and should always be "in process", "under
construction", IMPERFECT!  We will continue to increase the number and
quality of good pages - I am not worried ... unless the deletionists
keep bashing the life out of Wikipedians, newbies and oldies alike!

	So long as it's not spam or vandalism, everything's good.  And
crappy pages are good starter pages for people to learn NPOV and so on.

	Anyone without the patience to help by participating with all
editors of any page - MOVE ON and do something else!  Stop deleting and
banning!  ... and quit complaining about bad contributions - make 'em
better (or move on and let someone else have a hand at it).

	So, I suggest preventing n00b-biting by removing admin teeth,
and let's get back to building Wikipedia, rather than this constant
discussion about how to delete, delete, delete.

==

	Now, for non-admins, let's talk about general curtsey, having a
positive and helpful attitude, setting an example of our preference for
editing, community building, ...