[WikiEN-l] Edit Wikipedia Week is coming. How not to bite the n00bs?

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:31:44 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> English Wikipedia is already serving more than _a million_ 'damaged'
> page views per-day*.  I'm personally a bit tired of browsing Wikipedia
> being shock image roulette.
>
> The urgency and lack of eventualism clearly causes harm, but it's not
> entirely unjustified. What is your answer to this?

Mine, at least, is to point out that we seem to be having no problems
skyrocketing in the Alexa rankings and in popularity despite this.
That does not mean we should not fight vandalism. But it does mean
that our userbase seems relatively accepting of the fact that
sometimes you'll load an article on Earl Grey tea and get a picture of
a man's distended anus. Yes, we get a few upset e-mails from people
who are not accepting of this every day at OTRS. But it doesn't seem
to be having a crippling effect on our perceived usability at present.

-Phil