[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Nov 5 20:54:36 UTC 2007

I think we discussed this topic plenty before, but I did want to post
one small follow-up based on some new info.

It appears that this drama was both touched off by and sustained with a
variety of sock puppets, now banned. My thanks to Morven for nabbing no
less than 19 socks from one operator. From what I can tell, there were
two other people with now-banned socks involved in that as well, two
claiming to be pro-BADSITES and one opposed.

It's always hard to guess the motives of people like that, but if
trolling was their goal, they had a smashing success. Hopefully all
involved will feel a little chastened by that. I know I do.

Not that I plan to assume good faith any less: suspicion and distrust
are great raw material for trolls. But I'm definitely going to try for
more WP:COOL, and more patience with people who see themselves as
responding to intolerable provocation.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>